The Eddie Kranepool Society

Sunday, October 02, 2005


"EVEN THOUGH IT'S BEEN A TERIFFIC SEASON, WHY DO I FEEL A BIT EMPTY?" I've been watching all these "must see" pennant race games the last week from the beaten to death Highlanders-Sawx, to the Indians-White Sox to the "Stros and Fightin' Phils and the more more I watch these supposed "playoff" teams my blood pressure goes higher and higher. Why? Because with the exception of the St Louis Cardinals and the Braves none of the other post season teams are better than the Mets. And you could even make a case for the Mets beating the Cards in a best of 5 or 7 game series. Now I know some my say I'm just a disgruntled or jealous Met fan and in a way I am but when the Mets had sucked I acknowlaged that they sucked. But anyone who has watched the pennant races the last week or so especially in the AL can see that those teams are serverly flawed. As much as I feel overall Willie Randolph has done a good job in his rookie year I can't help but think what would have happened if he had moved David Wright higher in the lineup sooner and drop Mike Piazza lower. One of the great mysteries of this season is why Randolph would not move a clearly pressing Carlos Beltran to the 2 hole in the order and move Wright the best hitter and player on this team to the 3 hole. What if he moved Braden Looper out of the closers role that due to injury and lack of ability was killing this team and had given Heath Bell a bigger role to Roberto Hernandez and had moved Aaron Heilman up to set up man with the vastly underrated Juan Padilia? How about if Randolph had given Heath Bell the chances and show of confidence that he gave to lesser talents like Kaz Ishii, Mr. Koo and the albatross known as Victor Zambrano? My feeling is this team would be getting ready to play on Tuesday against the Cards as the NL Wild Card team. So even though I should be ecstatic that the organization is headed in the right direction and that David Wright is a Met and the fact that free agents will look at the Mets as a destination, I keep think of chances that were squander away and I thinking as good as this season has been it could have been a whole lot better . (TO POST A COMMENT PLEASE CLICK ON THE TIME OF THIS POSTING) < |