The Eddie Kranepool Society

Saturday, April 09, 2005


"WE'RE 0-4 BUT I'M NOT NERVOUS" I guess Willie Randolph is growing on me. If this were Artie from Queens running the show I'd be ranting like a lunitic but there is something about Willie that has me thinking the Mets will be fine. Sure he messed up that double switch the other night and his thinking of batting David Wright 8th made me shake my head, and those Subway sandwich commercials are making my eye twitch but I'm not going into panic mode yet. I like that he refuses to use Garunteed Felix unless it's a last resort (I have to figure Omar is pleading with the Skill Sets to cough up the $1.85 mil to buy out Heredia. Keeping Heredia is the equivalent of buying a mansion and furnishing it with Seaman's furiture)and that he is playing aggressive baseball. What helps Randolph is he's from NY and has worked in NY for so many years he knows what to expect when you hit a slump like this. I guess we are so used to failure, that most fans are in the panic mode but I just think this will turn around and the Mets will be fine. Watching The Zambrano Project pitch is like being in a sail boat during a hurricane. Pass the Dramamine! I will give Zambrano this much he showed onions getting out of a bases loaded jam in the 5th by striking out (Eating) Raoul Mondesi and he was throwing hard but his command is nil and his control has shown no improvment. The Mets 7th had me shaking my head. Cliff Floyd on 1st and Douggie Eyechart up. Dougie was in the midst of a classic at bat fouling off pitch after pitch. Floyd was running on the pitch about seven times. After awhile Cliffy looked like a two pack a day smoker as he returned to first base. Then for some reason, Dougie, after fouling off four or five pitches in a row with two strikes, let's strike three go right by him in what became a strike 'em out throw 'em out double play. That's what happens when the breaks don't go your way. Aaron Heilman is back in the bigs to fill in for Kris Benson. Since going back to his three-quarter delivery he used with sucess at Notre Dame, Heilman has been very effective. This begs the question, why was his deilvery tinkered with in the first place? Heilman seems more confident: ["This certainly feels a lot more comfortable, a lot more natural," Heilman said. "You don't realize how far you get from your normal baseline in small, little increments."] Now my next question is who changed Heilmans delivery? Well, reading this qoute from former 86'er and pitching coach Bobby Ojeda it was moves like this that lead him to leave the organization: [The original reworking of Heilman's delivery away from the three-quarters motion had particularly irked then-minor-league pitching coach Bobby Ojeda, who soon afterward left the organization in a disagreement over philosophy. "When I first saw him, with that hard sinker and that funky delivery, I said, 'Kid, don't change a thing. I've seen major-league hitters and they're not going to like your (stuff),'" Ojeda said in January 2004. "But then, when I saw him last year, I wanted to hit against him."] It's no secret that Ojeda had different views on pitching than Rick Peterson and you wonder if Professor Rick's seat is getting warm. I would love to ask Omar, after swearing to god and hope to die that I would not tell a soul, what he thinks of Professor Rick? Omar is more of the old school type like Ojeda and have to wonder what he thinks of Professor Rick's way of doing bussiness. Peterson put his neck on the line with The Zambrano Project and the dealing of Scott Kazmir add in the fact that Omar and Randolph did inherit him so I just wonder if Peterson's seat may get a tad warm if Zambrano and Ishii show no improvment? It's something to keep an eye on. < |