The Eddie Kranepool Society

Wednesday, January 21, 2004


I'LL PLAY 1ST BASE AND I'LL LIKE IT DAMN IT! John Harper has a piece on Mike Piazza coming out of seclusion to join the Mets Caravan to promote the team for the 2004 season. Piazza is saying all the right things about playing some 1st base, being a Met, and doing what's right for the team. A few quotes from Mikey Garbo: {In either case, he wasn't tipping his hand. In his first public appearance of this offseason, Piazza said all the right things about wanting to be a Met and put the team ahead of himself. And he said them as matter-of-factly as if he were talking about the weather - even when denying that he had any interest in wanting to be traded.} "That was complete fabrication," he said when asked about newspaper stories in November saying he preferred a new start somewhere else. "I don't know where that ever came from." OOO, OOO, I KNOW I KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM....your agent Mikey! Yes your agent called the Duke and said that Piazza would not be against being traded. However, the shock was Mike,that your paycheck is too high for any other team. So the Mets did try and try but could not find a partner to trade with. It seems the market for 35 year old stubborn catchers coming off a major injury and owed $30 mil over two years is non-existent. {Even when prodded for a reaction, and asked why he didn't come forward at the time to put a stop to days of speculation, Piazza just shrugged.} "I didn't react to it because there was nothing to it," he said. "I've always prided myself on being a professional." "So you're happy here?" someone asked. Again, Piazza didn't so much as blink. "I never gave any indication otherwise." Oh yes I am so happy here, can't you see that smile on my face? I love finding out news about where I'll be playing from TV. I love when Titan Tommy Glavine pines for the days of pitching to Eddie Perez. I just love that the Kitchen Cabinet of Lieter, Glavine and Franco had me all but delivered to Baltimore. Oh yes I love my job I think it's swell. Here is Harper's opinion on Piazza moving to a new local: "In the end it was practically a moot point, since neither the Orioles nor anyone else in this market was going to take on the $30 million owed to a 35-year-old catcher over the next two seasons." Amen, brother, Amen. Bottom line, as soon as Mike gets those 5 HR's he so desperatly wants to fulfill his ego as the greatest hitting catcher of all time, he will move toward the first bag and eventually stay there full time. < |